Sunday, February 26, 2012

You think YOUR commute sucks?

Well, this weekend was pretty much a disaster. Let's start with running news.

...

That's my news. This bronchitis is really taking its toll on me. I ran for about 4 minutes on Friday but I could feel wheezing in my chest and I knew I wasn't there yet. This isn't an average flu, and it's hard to keep that in mind when I'm in the midst of half marathon training. I've learned my lesson too many times about pushing myself when I'm not well or injured, so I immediately got off the treadmill. I went to do some weights but I think the run had me freaked out a bit and I just left. I've lost almost 7 lbs since Scotland and, while I admit my eating has been admirable in that I haven't overdone it or got into the "I'm on a break, might as well take a break from healthy eating" mindset, I know a big portion of it is muscle loss. I look killer in my jeans and tops right now, but when I sit down, I feel my butt is just a little more cushy than I remember. I'm planning on doing some light lifting and hoping it doesn't aggravate the situation. I feel stupid in running so much in Scotland when I clearly wasn't well. I think it made the bronchitis worse and is therefore making the healing worse. The fate of me and my half are up in the air at the moment. May have to shoot for a fall run, which is fine by me... I prefer summer training anyway!

Okay, so NRR:

I f***ing hate my boyfriend's job some days. Honestly. Do you know the swiss cheese theory? It's a little theory that's used in Safety & Quality and is used a lot in accident investigations. Basically, imagine you have about, oh, 10 slices of swiss cheese layered on top of each other. If you look at it from the side, you probably won't see through the holes because the chances of them lining up are extremely slim. But do this a few thousand times, and probably one of those times, all those holes will line up. This is what happened this weekend. The boyfriend has cut most ties with Dallas, but he did have to get his FAA medical there this week. Of course he left it to the last minute so it HAD to be this week. He changed his schedule so we'd have the weekend at home together (Fri-Sun) as opposed to his original (Thurs-Sat). What he didn't realize was that a snowstorm was tearing through Chicago on Thursday, and hitting Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal on Friday. Flights became a disaster. It was a crapshoot on where to go. Pretty much every city from Chicago east was affected by this system, whether it be snow, winds, rain, or all three. Cancellations galore. He decided to take the DFW-ORD-YYZ-YOW route. Long, but YYZ is a good bet to get to Ottawa. For starters, there's 15 flights a day (vs 3 from IAD and 4 from ORD), they're bigger planes, and Air Canada will fly in just about anything. Even with a few cancellations, he was likely to get on. Except for this week. Noooo, this week was one of those *dreaded* weeks for travel in Canada... it was university reading week. Of course, I should've known since it's MY Reading Week... but being a part-time student now, it's not really as significant as I still had to go to work for 9 hours/day every day during RW. The flights were a mess. On top of that, Air Canada's booking system crashed, so when he did get to YYZ, he couldn't get on the planes because he couldn't list. Gate agents were useless. Hotels were full. I squeezed him into a room for him to try on Saturday. He gets up, and every Ottawa flight for the day is full. So I suggest Montreal... and then I look outside and it's snowing/blizzarding like nothing on Earth. Crap. I can't drive to Montreal. Trains were at bad times (he'd get home at 5 pm). Okay so.... go to Newark and visit his mom instead of coming home. Newark had high winds and got a 2 hour delay. Okay so... go to Dulles and figure it out from there. He goes. As he's flying, I decide that I would take the plunge and fly to Dulles and meet him. It's a hotel and it's not home and he's frustrated and tired and I'm frustrated and tired but dammit, I am NOT going 4 weeks without my boyfriend. I booked him at a hotel and I grabbed the 7:30 pm to Dulles. Which was, of course, delayed. I didn't get in until 10:30 pm. We got dinner/drinks and relaxed. And then we realized that every flight to Montreal and Ottawa for today (Sunday) was full. Crap. So much for us sleeping in. I had to get up at 6:30 am to make an Ottawa flight and hope for a seat. Of course, delayed. I eventually hopped on a Montreal flight, took the plane to Montreal, took a bus to downtown Montreal, and took a train to Ottawa. Soooo we probably spent a combined 60 hours trying to see each other for 8 hours.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is true love right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment