Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Going, Going, Gone

I am a major control freak. My boyfriend will 100% attest to this fact. I literally have spreadsheets upon spreadsheets for very mundane activities. For my running routes, I have columns for different mileages, followed by course description and a mappedometer.com running route link so that I can actually view my course.

I'm really stoked about training, though sometimes I think I let that controller part of me take over and I end up over-controlling my life, including my runs. I panic about what to eat for dinner, or when to eat dinner, or when to run, what route to run, how many miles to run, will tonight's run conflict with another run, should I do sprints/easy/long/hills... this just goes on forever. It seems that whenever I get focused on something, I get too focused and it screws me up.

Case in point: tonight. Today seemed like a pretty chill day. I had no evening activities planned except for a 4:00 pm personal training session (which kicked my upper body's ass, awesome). I was debating on a bunch of things in my head... do I do dinner at home? Do I go out? Should I run right after the session at 5:00ish or wait til my preferred time of 7:30-8:00ish? But then it's too late to have dinner after... so many things to debate! I actually ended up coming home and going for a "quick nap" that lasted until 7:30 pm (oops). I hadn't eaten or ran yet. I went out for dinner and, due to letting my stomach/intestines work their magic, I didn't get my run in until 10:30 pm. Because it was so late and I had only eaten about 2ish hours beforehand (I generally run 3-5 hours after eating), I only pumped out an easy 2 miler, when I'd planned for a good 4-5 miles at least.

On the bright side, it's a dent in my mileage for the week. I'm getting to the point now where I think I'm running more than I did before I started tracking mileage... it's becoming more of a challenge to figure out when to run. I know, I'm at some really low number, but I'm still a bit confused as to how to do my runs. The mileage is so low that I can't really say I'm doing my "long" run because really, the long run is only a mile longer than the normal runs. I don't want to overtrain, yet doing a few three milers a week is pretty much no strain on my body whatsoever. I think my mind is just panicking... it's like "wait, I don't run this much!"... I do need to fit in at least one day of x-training, though.

Argh, it's all so much to plan! A wise person once said that training is just "miles, miles, miles. Training for a marathon means you run so much, it borders on compulsion". Maybe I just need to get out there and run and not even think about it. That is the best type of running after all.

Anne

1 comment:

  1. "Run and not even think about it"? You can't even breathe without a spreadsheet for breath frequency/mile, breath depth, oxygen content and an adjustment for temperature/humidity variation!

    ReplyDelete