Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Bitch Came Back

That title was to lure my boyfriend in since he rarely reads my blog (but does like that song).

That was probably a more apt blog title for a post I foresee in a few months referring to an ankle injury, but it was somewhat appropriate. After a few sporadic light cardio sessions between my surgery and now, I was able to hit the treadmill again. I had gone for a rainy and cold walk/run with my Labrador a few nights ago, but only completed about 1.35 mi (according to my Google Maps Pedometer) before packing it in. Aside from the miserably cold weather, my surgery spot still didn't feel quite "right".

I was hesitant on returning tonight as well. I have a lot of now-foreign foods sitting in my body from the past weekend at the in-laws (Egg McMuffin, cheesecake, sausage and meatballs) and was worried about GI issues during the run. I did have some mild cramping in various spots of my abdomen (not near surgery spot) so the running portion of my evening was a tad painful, but it worked out.

In total, I did 3 miles in 38:00. Yes, it's awful, I know, but I'm trying to bear in mind that I'm still in recovery mode from surgery. It's tough running not even 5K 10:00 slower than the 5K I ran last month! In fairness, it was a run/walk and it wasn't awful. It looked like:

2:00 @ 4.2 mph
1:00 @ 6.2 mph

Because of the GI issues, the 6.2 was painful, but surgery stuff felt good and my ankle did as well. I did some light weight training after for all of about 5 min, but have resolved to going back to my actual weight training this week. I plan to re-print my workout plan at work tomorrow, and I'm also in search of a good 5K program that will get me ready for another one next month. I'm planning to run the Green Brook Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day in Green Brook, NJ. I'm not expecting a PR, but I am expecting a good time.

I also plan to go back to lululemon. I'm loving everything I bought there (all $230 of it) and considering my BF is officially moving in within the next 2-3 months and I'm looking at moving into our home in December, I doubt I'll have much money left to splurge on luxury workout clothes. I also need to drop down a size in the stretchy tights. They are perfect for elliptical, walking, or weight training, but even with the hidden drawstring, I found them slipping during my run tonight. Woo for being a size 6 at a yoga store?

After talking to DO at work (initials, not a title), I've also decided that I want to try a marathon. I don't foresee one happening in 2012 with my history of injuries (though a fall one may not be out of the question), but I at least plan to do a few halfs. I've put a Garmin Forerunner 305 on my wishlist for Christmas/birthday which I think will help get me out the door for more outdoor runs and cross training on the bike. I need to take my bike out next year... this year was just flat out sad.

Expect regular updates again! I'm shooting for a 10 mpw base to start right now and build from there.

3 miles down.

Anne



No comments:

Post a Comment