Saturday, October 15, 2011

Easing Back In...

I've been meaning to update my blog but was running through airports all weekend and never really had a chance to before then. I never thought that the weather 1000 miles away could affect my weekend so much until I started dating a pilot...

I was hanging out on my Runner's World forum and had been reading one of my old issues while recovering and just NEEDED a workout. I considered running but given that my stomach feels like it's being jostled when I walk, I decided to stick to cross-training. My tendons were also a bit tender last week for some reason so I thought the XC plus some weights to strengthen my legs might help (it did).

On Wednesday I hit the gym for a 40 min elliptical session on medium resistance and a slow stride. The little calorie counter with my weight entered said 350 calories burned, so it wasn't that bad. The doctor strictly told me no weights over 20lbs, so I did as many calisthenics and low weight/high rep things as possible. I'm kind of glad I have these restrictions; I've realized that the low weight/high rep may be good to throw in once in a while. I thought it was going to be a joke lifting 7lb dumbbells for bicep curls, but do 30 reps x 3 of those and it's not so much of a joke anymore! Squats and lunges were lovely as well. It was good to be back.

Thursday also worked out quite nicely too. Both days my left knee was a bit sore, so I did some hip strengthening and IT work to make sure things don't get worse. I'm always broken. I was a bit concerned after the workout as my stomach felt like it had a huge bruise on it and was really tender to touch. I decided to take the weekend off from workouts as that was a bit freaky. You sort of forget that when you have surgery, there are internal scars that need to heal. Not knowing what was going on with that pain, I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm still not feeling up for a workout. I was on a Harrisburg, PA overnight with the BF last night and just walking from the hotel to the sketchy 24 hr diner (maybe half a mile at most) was painful. Sigh... I was hoping to do another 5K Turkey Trot or something in NJ over the Thanksgiving weekend but I guess that likely won't happen.

On the bright side, we found out that BF's roomies have put an offer on a house, which means he could FINALLY be moving to Canada in the next 2-3 months! Very stoked about that. I'm stressed, happy, and nervous all at once. There's a lot to consider logistically and it's a big step! I'm a bit worried that work will frown upon the amount of time I need off in the next few months though (Thanksgiving since it's not a holiday here, moving day from TX, and then cousin's wedding in Scotland in February). All legit events but not so great when you don't get that nice ATC day-for-day schedule anymore. Fingers crossed for a YYZ course coming up next year for me.

Hope this keeps everyone's interest satiated for the time being! Will maybe do some weights tomorrow or try the bike. Not sure what caused the pain last time so a bit hesitant to do stuff, but we'll see.

- Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment