Friday, January 20, 2012

Bringing It

Tomorrow's long run will be the conclusion of Week 2-1. I can't believe how quickly training is progressing. With all this treadmill running, I'm actually really looking forward to March (or April... hopefully March) and getting back out on the roads. I'm hoping by then I will also be the proud owner of a Garmin Forerunner 305, but it's getting tougher to find a decently priced one. The cheapest I'm seeing north of the border is $250, and south of the border it's $199. Rumour has it that Costco is selling them for $150, but I don't have a membership so I'll have to see if someone is willing to go for me before it's too late.

Made a few purchases recently in terms of workout gear. The biggest was a new pair of Saucony ProGrid Echelon 2s. These are the same ones I've been running in for a good 1.5-2 years and, while they're not quite perfect in terms of foot shape, they've kept my injury rate going on a steady decline. I didn't realize just how badly I needed a new pair until I took a look at the treads on my shoes and compared them to the new pair at the store. Eesh.



My second "major" purchase was two more pairs of the Saucony Ignite split shorts. Split shorts are hit-and-miss with runners, particularly females. They're very short and they expose right up to your liner line mid-stride. I love them because they give me a lot of freedom of motion and don't bunch up in the front like other styles do, but they're not great if you're self-conscious about showing a little too much leg. I really only consider these a major purchase because I had to ship them to Ogdensburg, NY. I literally could not find one Canadian retailer who carried them through the winter (Running Room had them, but only in the summer), and every US store I tried refused to ship to Canada. So, it's a great deal, but I do need to drive 45 minutes to get there. Still, they were nearly $40 when I bought my pair in-store, and they were $19.99 each this time around, so even with a bit of gas money and the bridge toll, I'm still getting my savings in!



Ta-ta for now!

Anne

1 comment: